Wednesday, 21 January 2009

Fat Baby Ackanakanakas

St. Symphorian's Church at Forrabury, Boscastle – eagerly awating an adornment of Achochas
Catbus from 'My Neighbour Totoro'

OK, so they're really called 'Fat Baby' Achochas. Ergates has swopped me 4 seeds of these freaky little fellas for some Tomato 'Latah' seeds. According to the Real Seeds catalogue (from whence they came) the fruit look like little green hedgehogs and are an unusual relative of the cucumber. I'm not sure where we'll grow them as they reach at least 10 feet tall! Ergates recommends that they be grown up at Saint Symphoniumnyangnyangs – don't ask! She has also leant me two Studio Ghibli DVDs to watch, 'The Cat Returns' and 'My Neighbour Totoro'. She received her seeds from Marshalls at last today! Sarah also received her seeds from T&M – a really good selection. She is trying a supposedly very early tomato too. I can't remember what it's called.

The Cookery Year Reader's Digest book I ordered from Amazon Marketplace arrived this morning. The dust cover is pretty tattered but I'm pleased with it for what I paid. It's a 1975 edition and has the game preparation instructions that are apparently deleted in later editions. Plus I bought yet another book today. WHSmiths were doing an incredibly good deal on the 'RHS New Encyclopedia of Gardening Techniques'. I'd read a review of it in 'Gardens Illustrated' magazine this month. It was reduced from £30 to £6.49.

2 comments: